Tuesday, April 9, 2013

LL Cool J and Intentional Racism

"If you don't judge my doo rag, I won't judge your red flag.
If you don't judge my gold chains, I'll forget the iron chains...
The past is the past. You feel me?
Let bye gones be bye gones.
R.I.P. Robert E. Lee.
But, I gotta thank Abraham Lincoln for freeing me."
LL Cool J


Naw, LL. I don't feel you. 

Even though slavery ended 150 years ago, some Negroes are still for sell. They will say and do anything for a dollar. They will coon, Tom, tap dance, shine shoes, eat watermelons and perform any other demeaning tasks for a quick buck.

A prime example of this phenomenon is the recent LL Cool J controversy. Recently, he released a song with Brad Paisley entitled Accidental Racist. In case you have not heard the song, the video is below.



The Confederate flag is not just some harmless symbol of Southern pride. It is a symbol of oppression. It is a symbol of exploitation. It is a symbol treason. It is a symbol of death. Confederate soldiers did not die for some great and noble cause. They died and killed in order to protect their "right" to own and sell enslaved Africans. The Confederacy waged a bloody civil war against the United States government. Thousands upon thousands of Americans died during the civil war. So, I do not wish Robert E. Lee well. I wish him hell.

During the 1950s and 60s, we fought for basic civil rights. We fought for the right to vote. We fought for the right to eat at lunch counters. We fought for the right to sit where we choose on the bus. We fought for the right to attend desegregated schools. We fought for the right to live and stay where we want.

During that struggle, one symbol was used to rally violent, racist opposition. That symbol was the Confederate flag. We were beaten under that flag. We were lynched under that flag. We were shot and buried in ditches under that flag. That racism was not accidental. It was intentional. So, no. I cannot forget about that flag. It is not a symbol to be respected and honored. It is a symbol that should be trampled upon and burned to ashes.

I definitely will not forget about slavery. Jewish Holocaust survivors say "never forget." I respect that. I honor that. Well, we are victims of a holocaust as well. Millions of Africans died during the Middle Passage. Those of us who did not die were forced to endure hell on earth. We were bought, sold, whipped, burned, raped, maimed, castrated, hung and shot. We are supposed to just forget all that suffering?!! We are supposed to just let "bye gones be bye gones?" Seriously?! That is outrageous and ridiculous! We have been taught to never forget Pearl Harbor and 9/11. So, why are we so quick to forget our own suffering?

This article is cross-posted on Jack and Jill Politics.

No comments:

Post a Comment